Mercy
And God said, “This is the sign of the
covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a
covenant for all generations to come: I have set my
rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and
the earth. Whenever I bring clouds
over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, I
will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every
kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life. Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and
remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every
kind on the earth.”Genesis 9:12-16
That’s probably why it’s so satisfying to
me to have clean dishes and clean children. All that dirt and grime washed away
to a shine and a sweet smell. It was probably pretty satisfying to God—albeit
heartbreaking—to see His creation washed clean.
I do the same with my writing.
Delete, delete, delete. Rubbish. Delete,
delete, delete. Who wrote this anyway?
I might start calling deleting whole
scenes, “flooding.” It takes a lot of time, but the idea of ‘polishing’ and
making something shine is worth slogging through that rough draft.
Now, God’s not the type to regret or wish
He could change His mind. I don’t believe that at all. But He probably wouldn’t
mind being able to switch on that Flood button again.
Boy, I don’t like that guy.
Flood.
Did she really just do that?
Flood.
Yeesh, these kids don’t have a clue?
Flood.
Mercy
triumphs over judgment. James 2:13
Not so much in fiction, because that
character might just need to GO. But in life.
Oh, and this too:
Blessed are the merciful, for they
will be shown mercy. Matthew 5:7
Fiction exercise: Who doesn’t want to be shown mercy? Is
there a scene today where your main character can show mercy to someone else?
We will love them for it.
No comments:
Post a Comment