Monday, July 1, 2013

Fliterary Welcomes Author Debra Ullrick!

Welcome to Fliterary! We love making new friends.
Let’s sit together on the swings and you can introduce yourself:

Well, hello there. Debra Ullrick here. Nice to meet you all. Wish you all could have joined me up on the Colorado mountain cattle ranches where my husband and I lived and worked. Well, the last ranch we lived on wasn’t a cattle ranch, but it used to be. We had the privilege of living there when it was and when it wasn’t. One kewl thing about the ranch now, is a famous movie star and her award-winning screen-writer husband own land there. My husband took care of them and their place. And he also took the previous owner and Eddie Albert on a horseback ride. Kurt Russell even hunted there too. Sure wish I could have met him. *smiling* We no longer live up there though. Kinda sad because it’s not near as fun living down here in the flatlands and in town. Talk about cultural whiplash! Boy, howdy! I’m still learning to adapt. Not sure I ever will. Sure do miss those adorable little hummingbirds that I used to feed and all those cute little chipmunks too. I don’t, however, miss the gophers. A whole herd of them varmints took up residence on my lawn every summer and sure made a mess of it. Yuk. Oh well. One nice thing is, I can go back to what I will always consider home anytime, and I do…in my stories. I write, and have written, stories about the ranch and the county I lived in along with a few other places nearby that I loved. Like Steamboat Springs, Colorado. Which is where my story, Forewarned, takes place.

You have a new book out, what’s it about? Yeppers, I sure do. It’s the one I mentioned above: Forewarned. It’s set in one of the most beautiful places on earth. A place not too far from where I used to live.

Here’s the back cover blurb:
… if only she had listened...
After a near fatal accident in the Colorado wilderness, Jasmine Moore suffers during the harsh Steamboat Springs winters. Unable to socialize because of pain, she goes online in hopes of finding some new friends to fill the void the long, lonely winters bring. A budding online friendship develops, and soon, Jasmine finds herself in danger.
Jackson Warren is in love with Jasmine and has been for years. When he discovers she’s talking to strangers on the Internet, a sick feeling fills his stomach. Something’s not right with the way Jasmine is acting, but she won't listen to his concerns. Can he convince her to give up her online relationship before it’s too late?

Where can we buy it?
You can purchase it online at Amazon.com, Barnes and Nobles, Booksamillion.com and numerous other places. You can also purchase an autographed copy through my website.

Why did you choose to be a Christian writer and what does it mean to you?
I wanted to bless people as much as I had been blessed by Inspirational romance books. So many times, when I was down and out or hurting, it seemed like no matter what book I picked up to read that day, it had exactly was I was needing. To know that I have a chance to minister and to help someone who is down or hurting by showing them how much God loves them means everything to me.

What advice do you have for aspiring authors? 
To follow your heart, and to not let the rules of writing bog you down. While the rules are good, they can be overdone and stifle your creativity. Also, if you can, find someone who understands your writing style, your voice. Someone who won’t try to change them but will only enhance them. Most of all, when you get published and you start having deadlines, don’t forget those things are important. Like spending quality time with your family and friends. Unfortunately, I learned that lesson too late. I wish I would have learned it before my mom and a few other family members passed away.

Where can we find you on the web? 
www.debraullrick.com  Facebook, Twitter (@DebraUllrick) Goodreads, and Linkedin.
  
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit!
Thank you so much for having me. It’s been a real pleasure. God bless you and yours.

No comments: