Monday, January 7, 2013

Mercy by Lisa Phillips



Mercy 

And God said, “This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth.  Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life. Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth.”Genesis 9:12-16

That’s probably why it’s so satisfying to me to have clean dishes and clean children. All that dirt and grime washed away to a shine and a sweet smell. It was probably pretty satisfying to God—albeit heartbreaking—to see His creation washed clean.

I do the same with my writing.
              
Delete, delete, delete. Rubbish. Delete, delete, delete. Who wrote this anyway?

I might start calling deleting whole scenes, “flooding.” It takes a lot of time, but the idea of ‘polishing’ and making something shine is worth slogging through that rough draft.

Now, God’s not the type to regret or wish He could change His mind. I don’t believe that at all. But He probably wouldn’t mind being able to switch on that Flood button again.

Boy, I don’t like that guy.

Flood.

Did she really just do that?

Flood.

Yeesh, these kids don’t have a clue?

Flood.

Mercy triumphs over judgment. James 2:13

Not so much in fiction, because that character might just need to GO. But in life.

Oh, and this too:

Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. Matthew 5:7

Fiction exercise: Who doesn’t want to be shown mercy? Is there a scene today where your main character can show mercy to someone else? We will love them for it.

Lisa Phillips can be found at www.lisaphillipsbks.com or on Twitter @lisaphillipsbks

No comments: