Thursday, May 24, 2012

Interview with author Pamela S. Thibodeaux by Natalia Gortova


 http://1.bp.blogspot.com/--hV2x-TzJSc/T6svU_PD0rI/AAAAAAAAAH0/QFNFBTaVJII/s200/publicity+photo+small.jpg
  
1.       What made you become a writer? (I KNOW there are easier jobs out there!)

            PST: Unlike most, being a writer was not my lifelong ambition, nor something I aspired to do. As a child, my greatest desire was to be a wife and mother. Other than being a homemaker, I had no goals or dreams of a career or anything resembling one. I’ve always been an avid reader but one day after reading one-too-many disappointing books, I thought I could do better. I picked up a notebook and started penning stories. For eleven years I did this, although I told very few people. One day, after I purchased my first word processor, I printed out a story and let my mom, brothers and sister-in-law as well as a couple of friends read it. Their responses were what encouraged me to continue and become a writer.

"even a glimmer of light can overcome 
a lifetime of darkness" 

2.       Every author has a story of how they got to publication—what’s yours?

            PST: My journey is filled with potholes and nuggets of gold. My first publication was in the newsletter for the writers group I belonged to. Then I found out about sites that paid for those type of articles, and uploaded many to receive pennies - but hey, I was published and paid! My novel, Tempered Hearts came next and was E-published in 2000. Six months later, book 2 in the series, Tempered Dreams followed. Then I fell into a pothole -- pulling those two books and signing with an “up and coming” publishing company which never got off the ground. That decision cost me nearly 3 yrs out of my career. However the Tempered series was revived when I signed a contract for all 4. The first 2 were re-released in 2005, book 3 Tempered Fire in 2006 and Tempered Joy (book 4) in 2008. In 2006 I signed my novel The Inheritance with White Rose Publishing who subsequently accepted and published several short story/novellas also. In 2010 I signed my debut women’s fiction novel, The Visionary with Five Star Expressions. There are still potholes along this journey - rejections are more frequent, writing is sporadic, acceptance and publication takes longer, but those nuggets of gold make it all worthwhile.

3.       How would you describe your book – The Visionary?

            PST: The Visionary is a contemporary women’s fiction novel with true-to-life characters in real situations that meet a Supreme God who proves even a glimmer of light can overcome a lifetime of darkness. Written in an engaging style that mixes Truth with fiction and the ordinary with the supernatural, this book is sure to entertain while it enlightens.

4.       What kind of reader will like it?

            PST: From teens to seniors, people of all ages will not only enjoy, The Visionary, they will gain insight into the hideousness of child abuse and a deeper understanding of the ability of God to save and heal His children.

"Let me tell you - be careful what you pray!"

5.       Why write a book about child abuse?

            PST: Trust me, this was not my idea. When I started writing The Visionary I thought it would be my ‘light’ romance. After all, my books had dealt with issues like domestic violence (Tempered Dreams), widowhood & betrayal (The Inheritance), tragedy & grief (Tempered Joy). However when I shared the first couple of chapters with critique partners, they pointed out how close the twins were and suggested since these were m/f twins and I write inspirational, I needed to be careful with their relationship. Back in 1989 I recommitted my life to Christ and committed my writing to HIM - praying I never write “just another romance.” Let me tell you - be careful what you pray!
            After the comments about my twin characters being “too close” I began asking those questions....you know, the infamous what and why questions. What happened to or between them? Why did they cling so tightly to one another that no one else could get close? Then one day I walked out of my office to find my husband watching a popular TV talk show. On the stage a young man was crying and apologizing to his sisters because he couldn’t stop the abuse they suffered. He couldn’t protect them.
            I tell you every ounce of blood drained from my body and in that moment I knew what had happened to my characters. Of course I had no idea how to write such a story! So, I argued with God -- yeah, literally - for three days.
            At some point in every Christian’s life we hear and know the voice of God - whether audible or a distinct impression - we know what HE is asking or telling us. This was one of the times HIS voice was distinct, clear and very audible.... “Who are you writing for anyway?”
            I surrendered, repented and sat down to write.
            The Visionary was completed in four months, between Jan. & April (the busiest months of the year) while I held down 2 part time jobs as a book keeper and tax preparer!

"Of course I had no idea how to write such a story!" 

6.       What is the message you want readers to take away from your work?

            PST: That no matter what you’ve done or what you’ve suffered, the Blood of Jesus has the power to cleanse the ugliest of sinner and heal the most wounded of soul.

7.       What other books do you have out there for readers?

            PST: My 4 book Tempered series (Hearts, Dreams, Fire & Joy), my debut single title, The Inheritance and five short story/novella’s (A Hero for Jessica, Choices, Cathy’s Angel, Winter Madness & In His Sight).
            All except The Visionary are available for Kindle & Nook. Full length novels are also available in print through Amazon, my website and my BluJay store. I also contributed to anthologies such as The Dog Next Door, Deliver Me & Words to Write By.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-NcIcsLEm_D0/T6syCiZeTZI/AAAAAAAAAIA/kObmv7fqPXM/s1600/the+visionary.jpg
  
8.       Where do you see your future as a writer taking you?

            PST: Currently I have 3 active WIP’s (one in submission, one I’m writing and one that needs fleshing out and character building to re-submit) and several other ideas that need to be developed including a 5th Tempered book, so I hope to continue to write and be published. I also own The Wordsmith Journal Magazine which keeps me busy and I hope to venture more into my speaking ministry as opportunities arise.
           
"...the Blood of Jesus has the power to cleanse the ugliest of sinner and heal the most wounded of soul."

Award-winning author, Pamela S. Thibodeaux is the Co-Founder and a lifetime member of Bayou Writers Group in Lake Charles, Louisiana. Multi-published in romantic fiction as well as creative non-fiction, her writing has been tagged as, “Inspirational with an Edge!” ™ and reviewed as “steamier and grittier than the typical Christian novel without decreasing the message.”
Website address: http://www.pamelathibodeaux.com  
Bayou Writers Group: http://bayouwritersgroup.com  

No comments: